Friday, May 2, 2008

Blame it on Sam


Excuse me while I reminisce....in order to ensure that this memory doesn't fade, I have to go back to a time when Sam was ~14 weeks and Erin was 4.


......I had only been back to work for a couple of weeks and as anyone with a 14 week knows, they are full of babble. I had just walked in from a long day at work and had Sam laying on Erin's bed, Erin sitting next to him. I was standing over Sam as he babbled away saying, "What is it? What are you trying to tell Mommy? Are you talking to me? What is it?" As a mother nothing is sweeter than a smiling, babbling child responding to your questions. Sam was adorable.


Erin was observing this interaction and suddenly spoke up, "He said you're an idiot". Of course, I looked at Erin and explained why she shouldn't say things like that. It isn't nice, you are a good girl and you know better. That hurts people's feelings when you say words like that.


With her crystal blue eyes glaring at me she calmly said, "I didn't say it, he did". Pointing accusingly at her 14 week old brother.


My first reaction was to laugh which was difficult to hold back. As I stood there staring at my 4 year old, I suddenly realized that perhaps he was calling me an idiot. I was standing over him asking inane questions. Did they have a secret language that wasn't known to me? I did actually look like an idiot with a stupid grin asking questions of a 14 week old...I'll never know if they were communicating. I do know that the questions stopped and I didn't do that again without thinking about my 4 year old and her interpretation.

1 comment:

Dick said...

What a FUNNY & cute story! Wendy, how GREAT that you are creating this blog not only for all of us to enjoy, but for recording yall's history that Erin & Sam will always have and for which they will later be grateful to you. Your loving, sensitive, & witty personality comes thru in your writings.(Having lost our Mother when we were young, I can tell you that both Linda & I would have cherished having her written words.)Luv,Sandra